Downtown Transportation Development District (TDD)
The Downtown KC Streetcar (starter line) is funded by the Downtown Transportation Development District through a combination of sales tax, property assessments, and parking lot assessments. The Downtown TDD is a separate entity from the Kansas City Streetcar Authority and the City of Kansas City, Missouri, and is governed by a Board of Directors. The area shaded in green in the below map indicates the area within the Downtown Transportation Development District.
The Downtown TDD Board of Directors are:
- Mayor Quinton Lucas
- Matt Staub
- Phil Glynn
The funding structure for the downtown TDD is:
- A sales tax not to exceed 1 percent on retail sales within the TDD boundary.
- A special assessment on real estate within the TDD boundary, with maximum annual rates as follows:
- 48¢ for each $100 of assessed value for commercial property
- 70¢ for each $100 of assessed value for residential property
- 40¢ for each $100 of assessed value for real property exempt from property tax, such as religious, educational, charitable, etc. property, but only on market value more than $300,000 and less than $50 Million.
- A supplemental special assessment on surface pay parking lots within the TDD boundary (not garages and not free parking lots). The maximum rate for the supplemental special assessment on surface pay parking lots will be $54.75 per space per year. This special assessment primarily applies to parcels in the downtown area.
Downtown TDD Meeting Schedule & News:
- TDD Board Meeting, TO BE DETERMINED. Meeting will be held in person and virtually. If attending in person, please visit the Finance Small Conference Room, 3rd Floor (East Side) of City Hall at 414 E. 12th Street, KCMO. Virtual instructions can be found in this linked Board Meeting Agenda.
- TDD Board Meeting, September 30, 2020, 2:00 – 3:00pm. Meeting will be held in person and virtually. If attending in person, please visit the Large Conference Room, 3rd Floor of City Hall. Virtual instructions can be found in this linked Board Packet and Meeting Agenda.