The KC Streetcar is currently hiring for a Streetcar Operator in the operations department managed by Herzog Transit Services.
The successful candidate will work full time at the Singleton Yard KC Streetcar Office located at 600 East 3rd Street, Kansas City, MO. Since the KC Streetcar runs a seven day/week operation, it may be necessary to work nights, weekends, and special events.
- Candidates must be at least 25 years of age.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Rail Transit Operator experience is considered a plus.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record for the past 5 years.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position is responsible for the operation of the KC Streetcar in a safe and efficient manner within established rules, schedules, regulations, procedures and providing professional and courteous customer service.
- Reports for duty at the Vehicle Maintenance Facility or any other designated location along the system in the prescribed uniform with a neat and well-groomed appearance.
- New hires should expect to work late nights, weekends and holidays exclusively as seniority dictates.
- Maybe required to work on an “on-call” basis.
- Participates in HTSI provided training programs for operating rules, track access, standard operating procedures, safety, vehicle operations, minor troubleshooting and basic customer service.
- May work with vehicle manufacturer to provide movement of vehicles within the yard and shop area and on the mainline or mainline extension (s) for vehicle burn-in and pre-revenue operations training.
- Operates KC Streetcars on embedded tracks within the vehicle maintenance facility, yard storage area and main line in accordance with established operating schedules.
- Informs operations supervisors of operating status of equipment and any observed defects.
- Performs pre-departure inspection in accordance with established procedures for streetcar preparation for service and reports any observations to supervisory staff.
- Observes and immediately reports to supervisory staff of road vehicles that possibly block or otherwise prohibit movement of the streetcar along the streetcar mainline.
- Observes and reports work being performed in or near the track that appears to be unsafe and without proper track access authority.
- Positions streetcars within the maintenance facility, yard tracks or car wash as directed.
- Receives and transmits messages by hand-held or train-based two-way radio for operational authorization to depart/enter yard storage area and when entering/leaving the mainline track.
- Inspects the KC Streetcar at stops and while changing operating ends, checks for debris and newspapers left behind by passengers and discards in proper waste receptacles, or passes on to field supervisory staff.
- Observes and reports any defects or unsafe conditions with regard to movement along the track or overhead contact wire (OCS) obstructions that can prohibit streetcar movement.
- Ensures that streetcar station stop announcements are being made via the pre-programmed public address announcement system and manually intervenes if required.
- Provides manual on-board announcements at regular intervals informing passengers of incidents that cause delays to streetcar movement.
- Prepares daily trip reports and defect reports upon completion of duty.
- Regular and predictable attendance and punctuality are a requirement for this position.
- Other duties as assigned.