You’re invited to celebrate Black Boy Joy all autumn long with free yoga sessions at the Union Station streetcar stop.
Starting Saturday, September 16, from 8:30 a.m – 10:00 a.m., the KC Streetcar and Art in the Loop will host monthly yoga sessions led by Joshua Davis in front of the Union Station streetcar stop featuring artwork by artist Khyneesha Edwards. These monthly beginner-friendly yoga sessions will include breath work, meditation, grounding poses, and guiding commentary about claiming joy. The minimum age to participate is 5 years old. Children 5-12 must be accompanied by a guardian.
Black boys and men deserve healing, so let’s heal together and claiming joy is a great place to start. Khyneesha Edwards, graphic designer and 2023 Art in the Loop Visual Artist, invites Black men and boys across Kansas City to take part in Black Boy Joy Yoga. This event was created to be a safe space for Black men and boys as they practice mindfulness and prioritize wellness, with the ‘Black Boy Joy’ streetcar art as a backdrop.
Participants should note:
- Registration is required for the free event. Register online.
- Dress in cool, breathable clothing.
- Bring water to stay hydrated.
- Bring a yoga mat. If you don’t have a yoga mat, a firm rug or thick blanket will do. There will be a few extra yoga mats on hand.
- Come with an open heart and an open mind! Yoga is about finding and embracing home, peace, power and joy within yourself, in whatever way that looks like for you.
Other yoga sessions will be held on Saturday, October 21 and Saturday, November 11. Locations may change due to weather so please stay connected on the Art in the Loop website (www.artintheloop.com). Learn more about the Black Boy Joy streetcar stop art online.