2022 KC STREETCAR CALL FOR ART
The Kansas City Streetcar Authority is seeking visual artists to engage the community through an exhibition of public artwork along the KC Streetcar route in Downtown Kansas City.
The artwork should respond to one or all of these questions:
- What does Black History Month mean to you?
- What does Women’s History Month mean to you?
- What does Black Women’s History Month mean to you?
Through a competitive, open-call process, the KC Streetcar Authority will select local artists to create temporary, two dimensional artwork to be displayed on 3-5 streetcar station stops. This artwork will be viewed by thousands of KC Streetcar riders and downtowners daily. Selected artists will receive an artist stipend of $500, plus project support to bring the artwork to the streetcar route for this outdoor program.
- Applications due January 31, 2022 by 11:59pm CST
- Artwork selected week of February 7, 2022
- Art files for selected artwork due by February 18
- Artwork installed by February 28, 2022
- Artwork displayed through April 2022
Selected artwork will be displayed on the KC Streetcar station stops. All station stops in this Call for Art are the same size and dimensions.
If accepted, you will be asked to provide a print-ready file at the appropriate dimensions. The area for artwork on KC Streetcar shelters is on the back-panel glass. For anything more than 50% coverage of the back-panel glass, there must be at least 70% opacity in the graphics and material. That opacity can include a combination of opaque and clear vinyl. The printed graphic may take an organic shape, or fit within the standard dimensions. Artwork does not need to take up the entire back-panel glass. The artwork is not to encroach on the blue frame.
We suggest considering the ambient light at the stops. Please note the artwork will be viewed from both sides of the shelter and should be visually interesting from either view. (Hint: check out the existing artwork at KC Streetcar stops to get ideas.)
Artists and/or art students at least 18 years of age residing within 50 miles of Kansas City are eligible.
How to apply:
Follow this link to the online application. In addition to a brief project proposal, you will be asked to provide samples of past work and brief artist background information.
Artist payment via check will be issued once all artwork is installed. Selected artists will not be responsible for production costs.
Selected Artist Expectations:
- Provide all art files to the KC Streetcar Authority, with layers, in electronic format such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, or Adobe Illustrator
- Provide art files to the KC Streetcar Authority on schedule
- Be available for potential media interviews and events
- Share participation in the program on social media channels
- Document completed art work with photography
KC Streetcar Authority will provide:
- Web presence for selected artwork at kcstreetcar.org
- Title cards for each artwork including artist’s name, contact information and background on the artwork
- Social media, promotions, media, and other marketing assistance
- Financial and logistical support and coordination with printer and installer
- Documentation of artwork (still photography and video as available)
- Possible activation and programming/event coordination