KC Streetcar Kicks Off Another Summer of Art
Art in the Loop 2018 kick-off event set for May 1 at the Downtown KC Library
The KC Streetcar Authority, along with the Art in the Loop Foundation, is pleased to announce the schedule of summer art installations and performances onboard and along the streetcar line.
“Art in the Loop: KC Plays” marks the fifth year for the Art in the Loop Project and the third year for KC Streetcar involvement. This year includes new partnerships and new Downtown Kansas City, Missouri locations, that provide more opportunities for audiences to interact with and enjoy the work of local artists. Art in the Loop runs from May through September.
“Our partnership with Art in the Loop Foundation has helped us enhance the ridership experience by bringing engaging art by local artists to our riders,” said Donna Mandelbaum, communications director of the KC Streetcar Authority. “We look forward to this year being the biggest and boldest yet,” Mandelbaum continued.
The following are the temporary installations and performances planned onboard the streetcar and at select streetcar stops from May through September:
Artist and Art Installations
- Daniel Chase, Running Idle, (Video animation on Digital Kiosks at streetcar stops)
- Monica Dixon, Celestial Heap, (Vinyl artwork onboard KC Streetcar vehicle)
- Emily Sloan, Streetcar Shelter Sweater, (Fabric artwork, River Market West Stop)
- Megan Karson, Stranger on a Train, (Soft sculpture onboard KC Streetcar vehicle)
- Amy Kligman, Party Car, (Vinyl artwork on KC Streetcar vehicle exterior)
- Stephen Proski, Night People (Vinyl artwork, Crossroads Southbound Stop)
- Alter Art Space, Alter: Pop-Up pARTy (August 24, 6:00 p.m., Union Station Stop)
- Stone Lion Puppets, KC Puppets at Play!,(July 11 and August 8, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Union Station and City Market Stops proposed locations.)
The 2018 Art in the Loop Project: KC Plays infuses the center of Downtown Kansas City with innovative and engaging temporary art that will refresh, intrigue and surprise Downtown employees, residents, and visitors. The project also creates opportunities for local emerging and established artists to extend their practice into the Downtown environment with curatorial, professional and logistical support. 2018 Art in the Loop Project: KC Plays is a curated outdoor exhibition of temporary artworks and performances presented in five locations Downtown:
1) Art in the Park – West Terrace Park, 10th & Jefferson;
2) Art on the Line – KC Streetcar, stops located along Main Street from the City Market to Union Station;
3) Art at the Library – Kansas City Public Library Central Library,14 W. 10th St.
4) Art in the Loop Studio Residency – Location TBD
5) Art in the Loop Exhibition at The Box Gallery – Commerce Bank Building, 1000 Walnut Street
A kickoff presentation and reception by participating artists is scheduled for Tuesday, May 1st at 6:30 p.m. at the Kansas City Public Library, 14 West 10th Street. This event is co-hosted by the Kansas City Public Library, the Downtown Council of Kansas City, Missouri and the City of Kansas City, Missouri.For more information about Art in the Loop, the artists and performance schedule visit www.artintheloop.com, www.facebook.com/artintheloop, or twitter.com/ArtintheLoop.
For Art in the Loop inquiries, please contact Ann Holliday with the Downtown Council at 816.979.1072 (direct) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For KC Streetcar inquiries, contact Donna Mandelbaum with the KC Streetcar Authority at 816.627.2526 (office), 816.877.3219 (cell) or by email at email@example.com.