The KC Streetcar Authority and the City Market are joining forces to celebrate all things Kansas City.
On Thursday, August 16, Kansas City is Celebrating the 816! 816 DAY, named after our local area code, is a day-long celebration of all things KC. Visit where it all began in KC, the historic City Market. Shop, eat and party with us to commemorate the day. Take the KC Streetcar to City Market, or if you have to drive, parking is free in City Market square. Enter at 5th & Walnut.
Start the day long holiday with a lunchtime ride on the KC Streetcar. Starting at 1130 a.m., local artist and performer Michael McQuary will be performing his show “Your Essence in Seconds” on board the KC Streetcar. His art and music will highlight Kansas City and the people that make this city so unique.
The 816 DAY fun continues into the evening! Hop the KC Streetcar to City Market for a free 816 DAY party 5:30-7:30 p.m. at City Market (5th & Walnut) sponsored by the KC Streetcar and featuring Thunder Jacket, Kansas City’s premier 90’s band.
- SIP a signature 816 cocktail from the cash bar hosted by Brown & Loe.
- BRING a chair and your dancing shoes.
- GET your game on with Level One Game Shop lawn games.
- ENJOY shopping and food from around City Market.
Everyone is welcome. Come support 816 business, food, art and music! All City Market parking lots are free on weekday evenings.
All 816 DAY activities can be found online at https://www.facebook.com/816day/. Additional 816 DAY products, specials and offers available Aug. 16 during business hours at these City Market merchants. Check www.thecitymarketkc.org for new listings daily:
- KC SODA CO.: Pick up a 4-pack of KC-based soda for $8.16.
- HAWTHORNE 109: Exclusive 816 shirts, hats and koozies from Garage Door Apparel. Shop 816- and KC-centric home decor items and much more.
- DUTCH FLOWERS: Let the sunshine in with 816-grown fresh cut sunflowers, 8 stems for $16 (or $3 each).
- TIKKA HOUSE: Savor hometown flavor with signature KC rubs and spice blends, $2/scoop.
- THE BITE: 816 PARTY COMBO – sandwich, chips & drink for $8.16 plus tax, available during 816 PARTY, 5:30-7:30pm.
- EMBLAZON GIFTS/THE CANDY WIZARD: Long sleeve jersey KC Skyline shirts are available in three color combos. Women’s cut. $34. Unisex pullover hoodies in a variety of colors feature unique KC compass and printing on the front, back and sleeve. $36 (XXL, $39)
- LOCALLY SOURCED MEATS: Sink your teeth into a locally-sourced, sustainably-raised KC Strips. 10% off roasts and 20% off pet treats.
- HYPERKC: Buy any hyper-local t-shirt, get a second one for $8.16.
- BLOOM BAKING COMPANY: any 2 croissants or Danish for $8.16 while supplies last (butter croissants excluded). Mix and match away.