- About KC Streetcar
- Explore the Route
- How to Ride
- News + Events
During 2018, KC Streetcar ridership logged seven straight months of year-over-year monthly ridership growth and closed out the year with a total of 2,114,886 rides, up from 2,060,327 in 2017. The KC Streetcar marked its 5 millionth ride in September and its highest one-day ridership on July 6 with 19,181 trips.
“The steady increase in streetcar ridership is a direct reflection of the residential and employment growth downtown,” said Tom Gerend, executive director of the KC Streetcar Authority. “For every new housing unit built, the KC Streetcar gains another rider. More streetcar riders equal more downtown activity and a direct downtown economic impact,” Gerend continued.
Additional 2018 KC Streetcar ridership statistics include:
– The average daily ridership was 5,794
– The Big XII Basketball Tournament completed 31,009 trips
– The 3-day Labor Day weekend had 33,424 trips
– 262,593 trips were completed in July, the highest ridership month to date
– 169,254 trips were taken in December, an increase of more than 19,000 from the previous December.
In 2019, the fleet for the downtown KC Streetcar line will increase by two as additional streetcars are added. This will help to decrease waiting times for passengers and allow for additional capacity during large scale downtown events.
All ridership data can be found on the KC Streetcar website at http://kcstreetcar.org/ridership/