The City of Kansas City, Missouri, along with the Kansas City Streetcar Authority, (KCSA), and the Kansas City Downtown Streetcar Transportation Development District, are launching streetcar service in Kansas City on May 6, 2016. Herzog Transit Services, Inc. a Saint Joseph, MO. based company has been contracted by the City and KCSA to provide the operations and maintenance of the system. Candidates selected for employment will be employees of Herzog Transit Services, Inc. (HTSI).
HTSI is currently seeking
Adhere to all safety policies and procedures to ensure a safe work environment. Report any safety violations to supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- This position is responsible for the operation of the streetcar in a safe and efficient manner within established rules, schedules, regulations, procedures and providing professional and courteous customer service.
- Reports for duty at the Vehicle Maintenance Facility or any other designated location along the system in the prescribed uniform with a neat and well-groomed appearance.
- Work hours and days assigned by management including weekdays, weekends and holidays if required.
- Participates in HTSI provided training programs for operating rules, roadway worker protection, standard operating procedures, safety, vehicle operations, minor troubleshooting and basic customer service.
- Works with vehicle manufacturer to provide movement of vehicles within the yard and shop area and on the mainline for vehicle burn-in and pre-revenue operations training.
- Operates Streetcars on embedded tracks within the vehicle maintenance facility, yard storage area and main line in accordance with established operating schedules.
- Informs operations supervisors of operating status of equipment and any observed defects.
- Performs pre-departure inspection in accordance with established procedures for streetcar preparation for service and reports any observations to supervisory staff.
- Observes and immediately reports to supervisory staff road vehicles that possibly block or otherwise prohibit movement of the streetcar along the streetcar mainline.
- Observes and reports work being performed in or near the track that appears to be unsafe and without proper track access authority.
- Positions streetcars within the maintenance facility, storage tracks or car wash as directed.
- Receives and transmits messages by hand-held or train-based two-way radio for operational authorization to depart/enter yard storage area and when entering/leaving the mainline track.
- Inspects the train at terminals and while changing operating ends, checks for debris and newspapers left behind by passengers and discards in proper waste receptacles, or passes on to field supervisory staff.
- Observes and reports any defects or unsafe conditions with regard to movement along the track or overhead contact wire (OCS) obstructions that can prohibit streetcar movement.
- Ensures that streetcar station stop announcements are being made via the pre-programed public address announcement system and manually intervenes if required.
- Provides manual on-board announcements at regular intervals informing passengers of incidents that cause delays to streetcar movement.
- Prepares daily trip reports and defect reports upon completion of duty.
- 1 year Rail Transit Operator or Bus Operator experience is considered a plus.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record for the past 5 years.
- Candidates must be 25 years of age.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Pass background check
- Pass Pre-employment drug screening
- Pass Pre-employment physical and medical evaluation
- Successfully complete and maintain any required safety certification and testing on an annual basis.
- The physical demands described below must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential job functions of this role. This position will be physically demanding at times.
- Required to wear safety apparel and equipment when and where necessary.
- Exposure to repair shop, field, train or yard locations with moderate to high noise level, lighting of various degrees, floors of carpet/metal and various heat/cold conditions and inclement weather.
- Will frequently be required to bend, stoop, stand and climb in performing daily tasks and activities.
- Must have visual acuity and hearing capability to perform the essential functions of the job unless other vision or hearing standards are required by law.
- Must have ability to distinguish and separate sounds around machinery and tools.
- Must be able to work safely around loose materials, uneven surfaces and metal plates, trash and equipment.
- Must be able to lift, carry, push or pull loads in accordance with all applicable safety rules.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so assigned. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
Along with a competitive salary Herzog Transit Services, Inc. offers the following benefits:
- Paid holidays and vacations
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Term Life Insurance
- Auto & Home Owners Insurance
- Supplemental Insurance
- Legal Insurance
- 401K plan with a discretionary Company match